If you rent and have suffered from carbon monoxide poisoning, can you sue your landlord? The answer, in most instances, is yes.
In Alabama, this type of case falls under premises liability law, and you will most likely go after the landowner’s insurance company. In its simplest form, the legal argument runs like this – the landlord has a responsibility to provide a safe place, he or she knew (or should have known) about the problem, the landlord did nothing and therefore is responsible for your injuries.
Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas produced by burning fuels. We see most cases involving poorly maintained heating or hot water units. However, it is not uncommon to find space heaters, fireplaces, and dryers as sources of this problem. Car exhaust fumes from attached garages can also be to blame.
Some carbon monoxide poisoning symptoms include — severe and long-lasting headaches, shortness of breath, confusion, dizziness, and nausea. Sadly, death can be the result. Children can be significantly affected, especially if exposed for a long time. This, too, can lead to death.
Let me suggest you install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. Remember, the gas is odorless. It is why we hear so often of people overcome in their sleep. They couldn’t smell the danger.
If you suffer a personal injury like an auto accident or slip and fall, you can talk to us at the Law Firm of Eiland and Ritchie for free. We want to help you get back on your feet. We are mostly working remotely but are always available.
Also, join us on NBC 15 LawCall here in Mobile every Sunday night at 10:30, right after the news. We will take your calls live. We are experimenting with new ways to do the show and still follow the CDC guidelines. You might want to see what we have come up with.
Alabama Personal Injury Lawyer