Protect Yourself Before an Accident Happens
- July 26, 2019
- Comments Off on Protect Yourself Before an Accident Happens
We often talk about what to do after an accident. I want to talk about what to do before there is an accident.
In a few words, get insurance.
I see it every day. Some people want to get the very minimum, and they think that is saving money. It is … until you need the insurance.
Here are some things to consider:
- The insurance company is not there to get you back to where you were. They will only pay the policy limits. If your medical bills are $250,000 and you only have $25,000 coverage, you are on the hook for the difference.
- Homeowners insurance does not generally cover floods. You need special flood insurance for that. It also doesn’t cover an earthquake nor a sink hole unless you have a special rider. Seriously, an earthquake could cause a flood sending your house down the street and into a sink hole and the insurance company could not pay you a dime.
- You need insurance on people driving around without insurance. If they are uninsured, they may go to jail, but they will probably not help pay your bills.
- Here is some good news. Tornadoes are generally covered; they are considered wind damage.
- Another piece of good news. If you borrow your neighbor’s car and have a wreck, the neighbor’s insurance can be used to pay the bills. Insurance generally goes where the car goes — no matter who is driving.
My advice: get as much insurance as you can. You will be glad when you need it.
Also join us on NBC 15 LawCall here in Mobile every Sunday night at 10:30 right after the news. We will take your calls live.
Alabama personal injury lawyer