Give Your Stuff the Right Send Off … Think About a Will
- December 28, 2017
- Comments Off on Give Your Stuff the Right Send Off … Think About a Will
Here at the end of the year, we have spent so much time with our family that it might not be the best time to think of what we are leaving them. Still, I am going to take this time to encourage you to work on you Last Will and Testament.
Here is the bottom line: if you don’t properly draw, sign and witness a will, the state of Alabama will decide where your things go. Do you really want that?
You may think you are too young to worry about a will. Let me tell you, I see families often that must deal with the unexpected death of a loved one. Don’t leave them to decide what you wanted. Tell them.
Now in Alabama, you must be 18 years old or older, be of sound mind and not be under the influence of others. If you wait too long, those last two may be difficult to prove.
Some things you might find odd:
- You must have two people sign and witness the will.
- You can generally leave what you want to whomever you want. However, the legislature has put in provisions that will stop you from placing hardships on others.
- You cannot completely exclude your spouse.
- You can change your will as often as you like, but it must be properly executed. Writing in the margins will not count.
As the year comes to an end, remember that NBC 15 LawCall is about to start back up after football season and the holidays. I hope you will join us as we take your questions live Sunday night at 10:30.
If you or a family member is injured in a car wreck, slip and fall at a business or any other injury, you can talk with the lawyers at Eiland and Ritchie for free. As we say, there is no cost until we collect for you. We want to help you get back on your feet.
Personal Injury Attorney