E-Scooters and Mobile Roads. Know Before You Try.
- August 2, 2019
- Comments Off on E-Scooters and Mobile Roads. Know Before You Try.
E-scooters should be good for the injury business. I am sure they said that when the first car went down a dirt road.
Here is the news – the Alabama governor has signed a bill that basically says let’s get the technology rolling and clears the legal path for e-scooters on the public street. If you thought someone was going to get hurt in the bike lane, now that 2-wheeled vehicle is motorized and in your lane. Someone is going to get hurt.
Here are some facts I have learned from representing motorcycle riders over the years.
If you ride:
- Wear a helmet – I would also suggest a full set of armor, but this is Dixie in the summer.
- Watch out for cars. Most car drivers are not used to dealing with an e-scooter. They have no idea what a scooter can and cannot do.
- People will stare. This means the car driver is taking his eyes off the road.
- Don’t drive between cars. You are asking for trouble.
If you encounter an e-scooter:
- Give them lots of room. It is a new technology, and the driver is likely inexperienced.
- Don’t tailgate. The scooter speed (roughly between 8 and 30 Mph based on brand) will be a lot less than your car.
- Visibility can be a problem. Some have lights and some do not.
And do I have to add – have insurance. You may need it; since, an altercation between a car and an e-scooter is not quite a fair fight.
Also join us on NBC 15 LawCall here in Mobile every Sunday night at 10:30 right after the news. We will take your calls live.
Alabama personal injury lawyer